A North Carolina teenager has been killed and the teen's father has been hospitalized as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. According to WRAL, the incident likely occurred because the house was being heated by an improper heating device that was not meant to be used indoors. The device created too much carbon dioxide, resulting in the injuries and fatality.
Carbon dioxide is an odorless gas that cannot be seen. An Anderson injury lawyer knows that it is also the top cause of poisoning deaths within the United States. While many different appliances can produce carbon dioxide, heating systems are one of the leading causes of poisoning due to this gas. During the winter season, it is important to know the risks of carbon monoxide and to do everything possible to avoid the dangers.