Pools and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Swimming pools pose a number of obvious dangers to children — including drowning, slip and fall, and injuries caused by diving. One of the lesser known risks of home swimming pools is carbon monoxide poisoning. A South Carolina family is hoping to raise awareness about swimming pool carbon monoxide poisoning after losing their son in 2013. The family has established a foundation to prevent future accidents, injuries, and wrongful death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
1262339_swimming_pool.jpg

According to USA Today, hotel guests are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. In the past three years 8 people have died and 170 others have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels, which rarely have CO detectors. Our Charleston personal injury attorneys are committed to raising safety awareness to prevent accidents and injuries. We provide strategic counsel and representation to help victims recover after an accident.

Three guests at a Best Western motel died of carbon monoxide poisoning when gas poured into their room from a swimming pool water heater in the floor below. One of the victims was an 11-year-old boy who was staying with his parents before traveling to pick up his sister from camp. This is a tragic and preventable accident that should be a reminder to residential and commercial pool owners.

The father and mother of the victim have spoken out against Best Western and worked to raise awareness to prevent similar accidents. In relaying their own experiences, they also acknowledged that they felt sick in the room. As her own symptoms began to worse, she realized that her husband wasn’t responding to her calls for help. The family has brought a wrongful death claim against the hotel to get justice for their son’s death. The judge in this case ordered the company that installed the used water heater to never work in plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contracting again.

In honor of their son, the victim’s parents have established a foundation to inform the public about carbon monoxide poisoning. The dangers can lurk in any home and can go undetected until it is too late. One way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install detectors. The foundation has raised money to provide carbon monoxide detectors to families that cannot afford them. The foundation also aims to raise awareness and has started an online list to identify the hotels that have a carbon monoxide detector in each room. The family hopes that raising awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning will help to prevent future injuries.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a threat to hotel guests in the Carolinas and nationwide. According to safety experts, each hotel room should be equipped with alarms to alert guests if carbon monoxide levels are too high. Unfortunately, most hotel chains do not equip their rooms with detectors, which cost around $100 each and must be replaced every 5 years.

Call South Carolina personal injury lawyers at Lee Law Offices today by calling 800-887-1965.


Anderson Injury Risk With High-Powered Magnets
, CPCS Warns, May 6, 2013, North Carolina Injury Lawyer Blog

Keeping Pool Grounds Safe: Tips for Owners, July 22, 203, North Carolina Injury Lawyer Blog

Contact Information